17-year-old left bloodied after encounter with Alabama police

17-year-old left bloodied after encounter with Alabama police

17-year-old left bloodied after encounter with Alabama police

The officers then chased Wilkerson through a few streets, and a struggle occurred after they caught up with him. For instance, the parents allege police used force while Ulysses was handcuffed, but Anderson said police claim they used force only after Ulysses reached into his waistband for what officers feared could be a weapon.

"Due to the subject's actions and failure to comply with officers commands Officers had to use physical force to affect the arrest".

"The force was reasonable and necessary", he said.

It later turned out Wilkerson was unarmed, but police say they recovered a discarded handgun along the teen's path.

In the statement, the attorneys said they were retained by Wilkerson's family.

Activists also want the police department to release body cam footage of the incident and fire the officers involved in the beating, according to Troy native Gerald Jackson who confirmed the identity of the previously unnamed teen. Wilkerson is 17 years old and allegedly encountered city police after walking behind a closed building. He was later transported to University of Alabama Medical Center in Birmingham, and subsequently released.

The Alabama State Bureau of Investigation is now looking into the matter.

SBI Agents immediately headed to Troy to conduct interviews and collect more evidence. Lt. Heath Carpenter told the website that the case is still under investigation while refusing to say whether any officers had been put on leave.

They are protesting for answers and for the dash and body camera footage to be released.

The hospital pictures Williams took of Wilkerson's severely swollen and bloodied face went viral on Facebook, bringing national attention to the incident.

Suffering facial injuries Wilkinson was transported to a Birmingham hospital.

Jackson's long post read: "Wilkerson was resisting an illegal arrest which is upheld under Alabama law". In the caption, she stated, "Troy police officers did this to my son while he was in handcuffs".

"He had trauma to the brain, swelling on the brain, and a cracked eye socket in three different places", Ulysses' father, Ulysses Wilkerson Jr., told WKRG.

"From all over the world, people are commenting they want justice", said his father. The family is adamant about the community staying engaged to help seek for justice for their 17-year-old son. "This is not just a matter of black and white, it is a matter of humanity", attorneys said.

Police initially charged Wilkerson with obstruction and resisting arrest, both misdemeanor offenses. The family said authorities have not told them what happened. At least one of the officers has received threats on Facebook, the prosecutor said.

Fortunately, video and audio of the incident from other sources does exist.

The University of Alabama at Birmingham told BuzzFeed News on Thursday that Ulysses was admitted to the emergency room on December 24 and was discharged the same day.

Latest News