'Swatting' suspect charged with involuntary manslaughter

Wichita police investigate a call near the corner of Mc Cormick and Seneca in Wichita Kan. Thursday Dec. 28

'Swatting' suspect charged with involuntary manslaughter

Authorities allege that a dispute over an online video game led Barriss to call a Wichita, Kan., police dispatcher and falsely claim that he had shot his father and was holding two other people hostage inside a Wichita home on December 28.

For those unaware, "swatting" is when someone calls in a false police report that results in SWAT swarming in for an arrest, and Barriss has already faced prison time once before back in 2016. Barriss has been formally charged with involuntary manslaughter for his part in the death.

Peter Siegenthaler said there's a good indication that the accused - Tyler Raj Barriss - is the same man charged in a similar incident six days later that led police in Wichita, Kan., to fatally shoot an unarmed man. He was booked in Sedgwick County Jail on Thursday afternoon, according to The Wichita Eagle, and his bond is $500,000.

There's no timeline for when a decision determining if the officer's action were reasonable will be made, he said.

"There is no other situation quite like this to reference", Bennett said.

"Someone tried to SWAT me and got an innocent man killed, the person said on Twitter according to Rolling Stone". "While it seems like it's been in the news now for a long time, hashed and rehashed, in reality, the homicide investigation is still in the early stages". A journalist from Germany was at the hearing Friday. There was a $1.50 wager over the game.

The caller that night has been identified as one Tyler Barriss.

There hasn't yet been a decision on if those players could face charges, Bennett said.

The phony hostage call was made as a "prank" known as swatting. Instead, Finch opened his front door when he saw police lights outside and didn't know why.

The officer who shot and killed Finch remains on administrative leave.

Siegenthaler said swatting calls can put the public and officers at risk and tie up police resources. As it so happens, Barriss had been previously arrested for swatting and making bomb threats, which then led to his release in January 2017.

Latest News