Americans have two extra days to file their income taxes this year

Getty Images

Getty Images

Taxpayers will have until this coming Tuesday, April 17, to file their 2017 tax returns and pay any tax due because April 15 falls on a Sunday this year, and Emancipation Day - a holiday observed in the District of Columbia - falls on Monday, April 16.

What many people don't know is that you can file an extension. But this year you have two extra days to file. The agency has information here about what you need to do to file for a tax extension.

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) says as of April 1, 1 in 3 people across the country still had not filed their tax returns. If you owe money to the taxman, you still have to make a well-educated estimate, fill out a form requesting an extension, and send the estimated amount you owe.

Keep good records and be sure to document all of your deductible expenses-you will be surprised at how much you can forget in a few months or a year. 4. "This penalty is larger than for not paying any balance due", advised Gil Charney, director at The Tax Institute at H&R Block.

Officials are reminding people if the IRS does need to contact you, they will do it through a letter.

Last year, the duo announced they were bringing arena football back to Trenton, with a team called the Jersey Flight, playing in the American Arena League. You must still pay your tax liability to the IRS by April 17.

"There's no reason for you not to prepare or have your tax return prepared for 2014 so that you can get your refund", Helen Fuller, a tax preparer with Liberty Tax, said.

However, if you can't find a way to pay - file anyway.

Latest News