Man rushed to hospital after shark attack at surf spot

Shark Attack Near Gracetown

Man rushed to hospital after shark attack at surf spot

A man suffered leg injuries on Monday after he was attacked by a shark off Australia's southwestern coast, forcing authorities to shut down a nearby worldwide surfing competition.

An ambulance is on its way to treat the latest victim, Jason Longgrass, who was attacked at Lefthanders surf break, near to Cobblestone Beach, where a man was bitten on the leg about 8.20am.

Surf photographer Peter Jovic saw the attack from the beach and said there were only about five people in the water at the time.

"A shark popped up and pretty much ended up knocking a surfer from his board", he said.

'They got him to shore and started working on him to stem the bleeding'.

Another radio caller said other surfers had been spooked by the shark and had started leaving the water just before the attack happened.

"It was a large shark and from the way it was behaving, it would have been a white pointer".

It has been reported by local media that he was "conscious and breathing" during the rescue.

Jovic said he saw the man catch a wave "which he managed to body-surf all the way in".

"Surfer and staff safety are top priorities for the World Surf League", a spokeswoman said.

Gracetown beaches, including North Point, Big Rock and Lefthanders, have been closed.

"It is possible the decomposing carcass will continue to act as an attractant that could lead to sharks coming close in to shore along this stretch of coast", a statement said.

A second person is attacked by a shark near Gracetown in WA's South West, just hours after a man was bitten on the legs in an incident which forced the Margaret River Pro surfing competition to be delayed.

Opposition Leader Mike Nahan said the attack would make global news given the Margaret River Pro event was on nearby.

"The World Surf League (WSL) has been alerted to a shark incident that occurred near Gracetown", a WSL spokesman said. "We have mitigation protocols in place and will be enhancing those when competition resumes", the WSL's organisers tweeted.

Surfers had been in action this morning in the competition before the attack.

Latest News