Mom warns parents of tick dangers after daughter left paralyzed

Mum's parasite warning after daughter was left unable to walk

Mother warning others of dangers of ticks after daughter suffers tick paralysis

"She would try to stand and walk but would continue to fall".

In the us state of MS a five year old girl lost the ability to walk and talk after a tick bite to the head.

Doctors reassured Griffin that once the tick was removed from her daughter, Kailyn would be back to her usual self.

The La Grande, Oregon, woman posted a video on Facebook, hoping family members or friends could help figure out what was causing the girl's sudden unusual ailment.

Thankfully, Kailyn "fully recovered" the next day, her mom said, and "hasn't slowed down since her feet hit that floor". Girls often have longer hair than boys, which ticks can attach to and hide in, increasing the risk of tick paralysis, the report said.

"I think people should get out there and enjoy the great outdoors, just remember ticks are out there", he said.

However, as she spent more time with her daughter, Griffin discovered some disturbing signs.

Kailyn was taken to University of Mississippi Medical Centre and was able to walk out of hospital after receiving treatment.




"PLEASE for the love of god check your kids for ticks!" she wrote.
"It's more common in children than it is adults", she wrote last Wednesday. We are being admitted to the hospital for observation and we're hoping her balance gets straightened out! This was brought on through a tick bite.

She had gathered Kailyn's hair to put it in a ponytail when she spotted the insect, embedded in the girl's scalp, swelled with the girl's blood.

Paralysis begins in the legs, then spreads to the upper extremities.

In the later stages it is harder for the victim to move her face or tongue.

Symptoms can take up to seven days to develop. If nothing is done, the toxin ultimately makes it impossible for a person to breathe, resulting in respiratory failure.

In 2006, four cases of tick paralysis occurred near each other and within a short period in Colorado, where the state usually receives about one case per year, according to the CDC.

The diagnosis was at first missed as doctors struggled to work out what was wrong with her. Griffin posted on her Facebook page.

She posted images to Facebook last week, showing Kailyn in her hospital bed with a splint and an IV connected to her arm.

Latest News