Man dies after eating a bad oyster in Sarasota

Modal Trigger					
				Shutterstock

Modal Trigger Shutterstock

A 71-year-old man died after eating an oyster that had flesh eating bacteria on it, WWSB reports.

A Florida man died from a flesh-eating bacteria after eating bad oysters, according to officials. "We have an individual that consumed some raw oysters and to the best of our knowledge had no exposure to salt water, became severely ill, and passed away", said Michael Drennon, Disease Intervention Services Program Manager at the Sarasota County Health Dept. According to the department's website, there were no similar cases in 2017, while three cases were recorded back in 2016.

Vibrio vulnificus is also referred to as a "flesh-eating bacteria".

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, vibriosis is caused by certain strains of Vibrio bacteria, which lives in salt water and may be present in raw or undercooked oysters.

The Department of Health confirmed the man's death to the South Florida Sun Sentinel.




He also said some people use the trick of only eating raw seafood during the months that end with "R".

It is rare for humans to be infected with the bacteria, though it can be contracted by eating raw shellfish, including oysters.

Infection by Vibrio vulnificus is characterized by fever, chills, decreased blood pressure and blistering skin lesions.

"The summer time, May, June July there are no R's in there the water's warmer so the bacteria that's potentially hazardous to some people is more prevalent", Alton said.

Experts recommend those with the open wound not to enter brackish seawater without protection. In 2018, there have been less than five cases reported in Florida, 10Investigates found. If you have a compromised immune system, the bacteria can infect the bloodstream, causing "septicemia, which can cause severe or deadly infections in other parts of the body".

Latest News