Idris Elba as James Bond is a rumour that's been around for years, nearly as long as that one about Quentin Tarantino directing a "Star Trek" movie. It was believed that the actor was one of the frontrunners for the role after Daniel Craig's term as the super British spy, James Bond, ends and the actor's recent tweet has only fuelled the speculations further.
On Sunday morning (August 12), the actor took to Twitter to post a heavily-filtered selfie along with the caption: "my name's Elba, Idris Elba", which mirrors 007's famous catchphrase: "The name's Bond..."
New rumours emerged this week amid reports that Bond producer Barbara Broccoli said it was now "time" for a black actor to take the role.
However, before we all get too excited, roughly three hours later Elba posted an iconic image of Public Enemy and a tweet that read "Don't believe the HYPE."
Elba's name has now been linked to the Bond franchise for nearly a decade, during which time Daniel Craig has starred in three films in the series.
Fuqua's representatives refuted the story, however, stating that no such conversation ever took place.
Elba, 45, has previously dismissed rumours and said he had not had any discussions with the studio about taking over the role. "Idris has that", was the quote that The Daily Star claimed Fuqua made, and they also stated that Broccoli was responsive to the idea.
Production on the 25th Bond film, led by Oscar-winning director Danny Boyle, will begin in December.