The Soyuz MS-10 spacecraft carrying the crew of astronaut Nick Hague of the U.S. and cosmonaut Alexey Ovchinin of Russian Federation blasts off to the International Space Station (ISS) from the launchpad at the Baikonur Cosmodrome, Kazakhstan October 11, 2018.
"Even when a failure occurs, because of the engineering and the design and the great work done by folks in Russian Federation, the crew can be safe", he said.
Two astronauts who survived the mid-air failure of a Russian rocket will fly again and are provisionally set to travel to the International Space Station (ISS) in spring of next year, the head of Russia's space agency said on Friday. But the incident highlights recent tensions that have surfaced in a long-running collaboration in space between the United States and Russian Federation. While Krikalyov did not give a specific date, the next Soyuz mission had been scheduled for December 20 and was supposed to take a new three-person crew to the International Space Station.
Paulo Lozano, an MIT professor of aeronautics and astronautics and director of the university's Space Propulsion Laboratory, said the capsule "went down like a free fall".
The crash comes after Roscosmos head Dmitry Rogozin accused Elon Musk of conspiring with the Pentagon to force other players out of the space industry and suggested that worldwide astronauts had sabotaged the ISS by drilling the hole found in its hull.
A source at the Baikonur space center told Sputnik on Thursday that all Russian manned launches had been suspended after the Soyuz accident. "We need more data", he said. "But we have to keep going, for the sake of mankind".
It's obviously worth noting that the Soyuz rocket is a completely separate piece of hardware from the Soyuz crew capsule, and something like the hole found in the crew capsule now attached to the International Space Station couldn't possibly result in a failure of a rocket booster.
Dramatic footage showed the capsule carrying the crew thumping down in a plume of dust, minutes after it launched.
The launch took place at the Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan at 2:40 pm.
The Roscosmos Space Agency says it is forming a state commission to investigate the aborted launch.
"The crew is returning to Earth in a ballistic descent mode". Teams are working to obtain additional information from our Russian partners.
"The Soyuz capsule is returning to Earth via a ballistic descent, which is a sharper angle of landing compared to normal", NASA said in a brief statement via Twitter. "It starts slowly spinning ... and then the parachute comes out and they land".
NASA rookie Nick Hague and second-time flyer Aleksey Ovchinin of the Russian space agency were setting off for a six-month mission at the International Space Station Thursday, on a relatively rare two-man launch.
NASA later tweeted images of the two men embracing their families back in Baikonur.
China's space agency has the capacity to send astronauts into orbit, but its next scheduled crewed launch isn't until 2020.